Sunday 2 September 2012

''Wild Strawberries'' : Eulogy for memories.

Wild Strawberries (1957)                                    9.5/10


Just purely beautiful film. I never though I in my 20 years could feel such a nostalgia and melancholia.
Be sure to have some tissues by your side after watching this film. No you will not be crying because of sadness, they will be more like happy tears. Good tears.
I don't think I have ever seen film that influences the viewer more that this. It speaks so directly yet completely individually to everyone who is watching.  While watching this film you will catch yourself lingering on one (or maybe a couple) very strong memories. For me it was quite surprising, but the memories that came to my mind didn't leave me for a long time after seeing the film. This is definitely not a film about some character in it , its a film about us , about every one of us , about our memories, and how slowly undeniably we close in on our final day, however the film is more comforting than dooming. 
It made me happy , it made my sad , but most of all it made me nostalgic. When I was watching it I was abroad , and that only intensified the nostalgic feelings.
Some may say that I they are too young for this film, but I don't think so , I think you should watch it time after time, just to remind yourself of the beauty of memories, of the ability to be able to remember and live and re-experience life through memory-metal images of our own history.

The main role actor Victor Sjöström is brilliant. His face somehow is able to portray seemingly all the nostalgia , innocence , fear of death , longing , in the world , and at the same time be so calm ,that it makes you feel safe and.fearless.

There is a saying that memory is the greatest curses inflicted on human race, well this film proves that that just isn't true! However , just like free will, memory is both : a curse and a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment